Thursday, December 3, 2009

Back to Halloween for a moment-Ursula Costume 09

My bad. I should have posted this way sooner but such is life! So for Halloween this year my friends and I decided to have a Disney Halloween. Actually I said I wanted to be Ursula from 'The Little Mermaid' then someone else was like "Oh! I want to be Belle!" and it just sort of snowballed from there. So I was going to split this up into a whole bunch of small posts as I gradually made my costume but I just banged it out in one week and had no time for posting!

I started with the the tutorial from Threadbanger on making a tutu.



Next I made a simple black dress from a vintage '80s pattern I found in my mom's sewing stash.
I made it about knee length instead of ankle length though.



At first I was just going to wear the tutu underneath the dress but I decided I should sew it in because I knew I was going to sew the tentacles in as well. See how nicely the purple sticks out at the bottom? Also the tutu would help the overall shape of the skirt from looking too lumpy.



The tentacles were made out of the same black fabric as the dress and then purple costume satin.



I only made 6 tentacles because my original plan was to make tights that also looked like the tentacles but alas I ran out of time. Each leg took almost an entire bag of polyfil to stuff at this point I was a little worried it was going to be too heavy for the dress.


Notice the Suction cups- different sizes hand sewn to each tentacle.



Got the suction cups from the dollar store I just had to take the little metal hook things off of them.

AND THE GRAND FINALE:





Pretty adorable if I do say so myself. I sewed all of the legs to the waistline of the dress then curled them over to the top part of the skirt and sewed them in place. The necklace is just a large seashell I already had. I used white hair spray paint and some sweet '80s shadow to complete the look.

Now what for next Halloween? Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment